Favorite Scripture

Doctrine and Covenants: 35

13 Wherefore, I call upon the aweak things of the world, those who are bunlearned and despised, to thresh the cnations by the power of my dSpirit;

14 And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their ashield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their benemies shall be under their feet; and I will let cfall the dsword in their behalf, and by the efire of mine indignation will I preserve them.

15 And the apoor and the bmeek shall have the gospel preached unto them, and they shall be clooking forth for the time of my coming, for it is dnigh at hand—

Monday, March 11, 2013

Week 3

Hola!
Like I said, it's freaking hot here. By the time I leave my house, the inside is about 90 degrees... So yeah, it's really hot.  To answer questions, I don't need cards, or a shirt, or anything from Disneyworld. The food is really good, a normal meal consists of some type of rice and beans, meat, fruit, salad, and juice. We eat a lot... it'll probably start to get to me later, but for right now I'm just trying to keep up with how much they feed you. And we haven't done any sight seeing, we're pretty boring. We want to go to a volcano, but we don't have the information on how to do it. And yes, I've written in my journal everyday. I'm glad you got a laugh out of the FHE, but I've got some other pretty good things for today too.
Ok, so here's just a few things that happened, and then I will get into all the funny stuff. First, whenever we are teaching, if there's something that an investigator is not sure on, if a hispanic member starts talking to them, it always sounds like they're trying to attack each other with their words. Like last Monday, we were talking to some Evangelists about prophets, and they didn't understand why there is only one prophet, so a member of the branch presidency here argued for about an hour about that, but kept getting of topic so we didn't get anywhere. Good news though, two days later I found answers to that question in the Bible and we were able to explain the organization of the church to them, and they accept it! =) Tuesday we planned to go contacting for a while... around 3 hours. But basically we were all nervous and used a majority of the time practicing how we would do it. And then we went on splits, Elder Ramírez went to an FHE, Elder Garrett taught the non-progressing wife of a member, and I taught English class! Luckily there was only one guy there so I just talked with him and he asked questions. Wednesday was Elder Garretts birthday, so some guy from his last area took us out to lunch, I had bbq pork, rice, salad, french fries, and a strawberry milkshake =) This guy is a non-member,  but he loves the missionaries and has lots of money so the missionaries get spoiled by him. Thursday we went to visit a new investigator, Shayla. She's golden! She's "catholic" but she's read the Bible and says that some things are missing from the Catholic church, but she still goes to be closer to God... like I said, golden. Friday and Saturday I was feeling sick, so not much happened. But we did find out that Fatima won't be able to be baptized on the 16th, she wants to be baptized, but there are some issues. And Fernando, her son, wasn't sure that he wanted to be baptized either... But Elio, the other son, still does =) We moved the baptismal date to the 24th. And the reasons Fernando didn't want to be baptized (he's 13ish) he had already been baptized in a different church and didn't understand why he needed to be baptized again, and he thought that he wouldn't be able to have a girlfriend or a family or anything in the future haha. We got it cleared up and he will be baptized on the 24th as well. And then yesterday, I taught the Gospel Principles class. It was pretty rough, and that's about it.
Now for the good, funny, random stuff. First, we have an investigator named Pablo, he thinks that he has powers from God, and so the first time I met with him, he "prophesied" about my future. The next time he "gave me a blessing". So I have a bright future and I've been blessed... life's good. Next, there are a lot of roosters and chickens outside my house and they are so loud! They start making noise at about 3:30 am every single freaking day... I really want to kill them... Next, I didn't know how weird it would be to have people praying at the same time. With evangelists(evangelics?) when we started to pray, they stood up and started talking at the same time, it was really weird for me. Next, they have Dora the Explorer here, and the majority is in spanish, and it teaches the kids english. Random, but I was curious. Also, the donuts here all have stuff in them, even the regular donut shaped ones, they are really good. 
Alright, now for the actual funny story of this week: I was thirsty and I needed to fill up my bottle with wáter, so Elder Ramire and I ent into another room of the church to fill it up. We walked in the room and I saw a gecko. I was really excited cause this was basically the first one I had seen here. Elder Ramírez also had a bottle and he wanted to catch it. So after a bunch of fancy footwork and awkward movements, we caught it. I got Elder Garrett to pull out his camera so that I could have a picture, then being a little nervous, I cupped my hands and told Elder Ramírez to dump it in my hands. We counted to 3 and he dropped it in my hands. It then started to run up my arms so I dropped it... or so I thought. We looked on the ground, under our shoes, on my clothes, but we couldn't find it. It had disappeared. Elder Garrett suggested, "Your tie?" So I turned my tie over a little, and there it was! I tried to grab it, but I only got the tail as he was going into my shirt, and I didn't want the blood or tail in my shirt, so I let go of the gecko. I then untucked my shirt and jumped around to try to get it out... nothing. So I took off my tie, unbuttoned my shirt and looked. We couldn't see it, so I stretched out my shirt like a cape and we found it on my left side. I told Elder Ramírez to grab it, instead, he just smacked my shirt and the gecko went flying into a door, then got up and ran away.
I hope you enjoy that story, the whole time it was happening I was laughing, so hopefully you do too. Requests that I have, please put the Jericho Road CD in dropbox, if you ever send a package, send a mister/fan, and also, those water flaver stuff is really good so I would like more of that. Also, more pictures to put in my book thing.
So yeah, that was my week. I'll send some pictures or put them in dropbox if I remember how to log in.
Love,
Elder H. Black

No comments:

Post a Comment